Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Word Scramble with Letter Magnets

Unscrambling words is a fun activity for kids of any age. To make it easy for my son to move the letters around and try different sequences until he unscrambled the word, I made letter magnets. These were simple and affordable.

I used Microsoft Excel® to create a grid with letters in each square (download my template here). I printed the page on cardstock and using a glue stick, attached it to a recycled cereal box for sturdiness. Then I cut the squares out and attached a small piece of magnet tape to the back of each. For the magnet board, I used a cookie sheet.

The words he unscrambled were:
Zip
Rat
Kid
Hot
Cry
Jam
Play
Fish
Gold
Quit
Race (letters can also be reconfigured to spell ‘care’)
Run
Web
Fan
Nest (letters can also be reconfigured to spell ‘nets’)
Jet
Milk
Bump

I scrambled each of the words on the cookie sheet in groupings of six words, starting with three-letter consonant-vowel-consonant (CVC) words.


My son did great and only needed hints to get the words ‘gold’ and ‘milk’ unscrambled!

3 comments:

  1. Stopping by via the weekend hop, Very cool blog! Yours is one I will certainly be stopping back through! We struggle to come up with ideas that both my 4 and 8 year old can do together and enjoy; love all I see so far!!
    Cindy
    http://cute-ecakes.blogspot.com
    http://frugallyfantasmic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally LOVE this! Let's keep in touch and follow each other!

    www.littlemisskindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are awesome! Stopping by from the linky party. Hope to see you at Math Monday!
    http://love2learn2day.blogspot.com/2011/06/math-monday-blog-hop-10.html

    Smiles,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete